As a Dog owner, the last thing you want to come home to is a kitchen or bathroom full of garbage on the floor!
Trust me, I’ve been there before and it stinks (no pun intended)…
Dogs are curious animals and are creatures of smell. And what smells better to a dog than a trash can full of garbage?
Even worse, if you have any raw bones or hard objects in the garbage and your dog eats it, this can become a very expensive vet bill!
So how do you keep your dog out of the garbage?
Dog Proof Trash cans are essential in every home where you have a dog. They are designed to keep your dog out of the garbage.
Depending on the type of dog proof trash can you get, they can keep garbage odors out and have been specifically designed to keep dogs from getting into the garbage.
Some have door locks with foot pedals for easy human access, and some even use motion sensors to know when your dog is about to go diving through his favorite trash of the week and stop him before he does!
You have plenty of options to choose from, but we’ve selected the very best for you below:
5+ Of The Best Dog-Proof Trash Cans For Kitchen, Bathroom, and Outdoors
For the Kitchen
1. Simplehuman 50 Liter / 13 Gallon Semi-Round Kitchen Step Trash Can, Black Plastic With Secure Slide Lock
If you want a large-capacity trash can, Simplehuman offers a very affordable and effective dog-proof trash can. It’s made of durable plastic, semi-round shape designed for easy placement that will keep it out of the way from dogs and guests. It also has a steel medal pedal for easy opening, silent close lid, and custom fit liners.
How is it dog proof? There’s a sliding lock on the lid to keep it shut and secure so dogs and other pets can’t get into the garbage! Simplehuman offers several shapes, sizes and materials to choose from and is highly rated with good reviews.
GLAD GLD-74514 Extra Capacity Stainless Steel Sensor Trash Can with Clorox Odor Protection of The Lid | Fits Kitchen Pro 20 Gallon Waste Bags
If you are not on a budget, then this GLAD 20 Gallon (also available in 13 gallon) stainless steel sensor trash can comes with a Clorox odor protection to keep the garbage smells from getting to your dog’s nose.
It also has a motion sensor and lid that opens automatically by using the motion of your hand. If you’ve tried locking trash cans to keep your furry pets out of the trash, this pet-proof trash can could be the answer because it sits flush and they won’t be able to lift the lid with their nose!
For The Bathroom
BINO Stainless Steel 1.3 Gallon / 5 Liter Rectangle Step Trash Can, Matte Black
This BINO stainless steel, 1.3-gallon rectangular step trash can is the perfect dog-proof bathroom trash can. It has a removable inner bucket and carrying handle, foot pedal for hands-free opening and closing, perfect for small spaces in bathrooms or even laundry rooms and made from high-quality stainless steel with a nice matte finish.
Keep Your Outdoor Dog Out Of The Garbage!
If you have an outdoor dog and want to dog-proof your patio or yard then you should decide on what size trash can you need. Below are a few options that all have dog-proofing capabilities to prevent fido from munching on and rolling in your outdoor garbage!
Doggy Dare Trash CAN Lock
Already have a trash can? Try the Doggy Dare Trash Can Lock. It fits 32 gallon trash cans and is constructed from over 10 feet of durable shock cord with stainless steel hardware. It keeps dogs (and even raccoons) out of the trash! The trash can is not included so if you don’t already have one, then I’d suggest any 32 gallon standard trash can like this Rubbermaid heavy-duty round garbage can.
One more option to dog-proof your trash outside is the Trash Buddy trash can lid. It’s made in the USA and seems to fit different size lids. Check out their video!
Why Do You Need A Dog-Proof Trash Can?
Puppies and younger dogs, especially large-breed dogs can never be trusted! Even if you think your dog is trained and well-behaved, even the sweetest furr babies will find a way to get into the garbage and make a huge mess. Just because he hasn’t found the trash yet doesn’t mean he won’t in the future.
Dogs are smart and they know as soon as you leave the house they can do anything they want! This is when dogs get into the trash the most.
Tips and reasons to keep your dog out and away from the garbage can even if you don’t have a doggie-proofed kitchen or bathroom yet
- Garbage is toxic – after ingesting garbage your dog could develop a condition called Garbage Toxicosis or “Garbage Gut” for short. Spoiled foods can contain bacteria like Salmonella.
- Dog’s are Olympic sniffers. A dog’s sense of smell is over 10,000 times more sensitive when compared to our own human noses. If you ever spill food in the kitchen make sure you clean it up so Fido can’t pick it up. Carefully managing messes and spills is critical to keeping your dog out of the kitchen in the first place.
- Make sure your trash can has a lock on it or at the very least, consider taking the trash outside to your outdoor trash can before leaving the house.
- Keep doors to rooms like your bathroom closed when you leave the house. If your kitchen doesn’t have a gate, consider adding a dog gate to keep fido from being curious.
- Keep your dog entertained. Often times, a bored dog will go through the trash just because it’s fun and entertaining.
- Stress and anxiety also play a factor. Consider adding calming treats or CBD oil to your dog’s diet to keep them relaxed and calm while you are away.
What To Look For in a Dog-Proof Trash Can
So what features should you be looking for in a good trash can that’s dog proof?
- Shape and size (capacity) – you want to consider where you will be placing the trash can and how large of a container or trash bag you want to use. Ultimately how frequently will you be taking out the trash? Weight is important because often your dog will tip over the trash can to get the contents out.
- Plastic vs Stainless Steel – I try to avoid plastics but stainless steel is going to more expensive. If you have a large dog who can easily destroy a flimsy plastic can, then consider industrial strength plastic, metal or stainless steel. Steel cans also have the advantage of being heavier and harder to knock over.
- Keep lids tight and locked – you want to have a tight lid and a lock that makes it easy for you to access but hard for Fido to figure out. All of the dog-proof trash cans on our list achieve this.
- Easy to open – I personally prefer having a foot-pedal to make it easy to open and close. Replacing the trash bag should also be easy.
If your dog has not shown signs of curiosity in the trash yet, at some point he probably will. His sense of smell, lack of entertainment or boredom may eventually lead him to knock over your trash can and leaving you with a huge mess to deal with at the end of the day. Even worse, you may end up having to take him to the vet because of what was in the trash!
You can prevent all of this with reducing smells, keeping your trash locked up, taking the trash out more frequently and keeping rooms like the bathroom closed. The best solution is to invest in a great dog-proof trash can so you never have to worry about your precious furry friend getting sick.